Last night I was chatting with John Pomeranz, the Washington Revels board member and sometime chorus member who is making the food for the cast party in a couple of weeks. He chastised me for not having previously mentioned that we’re singing a whole song about food. It’s called “Siete modos de guisar las barenjenas”–Seven Ways to Prepare Eggplant–and, well, that’s what it is. I promised I’d send him the recipes, so here they are, just in time for Thanksgiving.
1. Vava – Cut it into bite-sized pieces and serve it for supper.
2. Dolma – Hollow it out and fill it with herbs.
3. Almondrote – Hollow it out and fill it with rice.
4. Alburnia – Ok, the song doesn’t actually give this recipe, but I can tell you that it’s tasty and you should eat it before the worm gets to it.
5. Jandrajo – Little pastries of eggplant, served with hard-boiled eggs.
6. Maljasina salad – Make it with a lot of olive oil and serve it with leftover hen.
7. Meyina – In the oven with an open dish with oil and pepper.
Ok, I didn’t say they were detailed recipes. If you don’t feel up to the recipes, maybe you’ll take inspiration from the chorus: “My uncle Cerasi likes to drink wine. Lots of it. He feels fine.”
Want more information on the show or to buy tickets? Click here!